I had a strange error popping up. Every time I tried to use the getResults.sh script outside of a project in the samples directory, an unidentified process would eat up all of the memory on my machine. Worse, when I used strace, the process seemed to be just hanging there.
I tried a bunch of things:
- Moving the directory back to samples. No dice.
- Switching from OpenJDK to Sun’s JDK. Since the CLT doesn’t support 1.6, I followed the directions here to install sun-java5-jdk and set JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/
- Taking another close look at the script.
Here an excerpt from the the getResults.sh script:
./getResults.sh $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9 -successfile $DIR/rate-3-4-36.success -outputfile $DIR/rate-3-4-36.results
Notice that I forgot to change to the bin directory of the CLT. (I don’t know why, but you seemingly have to be in the bin directory for the CLT to work properly. I haven’t messed with it much yet; I might have screwed up my path somehow when I first tried.)
If you add the line:
It works. My script was recursing on itself. That’s what was eating the memory. And it didn’t show up in top because each invocation of the script used up only a very little bit of the memory. Man I feel dumb.
I only post this in case someone else has these troubles.